Monday, February 27, 2006

Blank Doll laughs at you.

Yesterday was a great day. Daddy took us out to eat at the French Stall and we had some nice food there. I ordered escargot as usual because I love them especially when they're baked with olive oil and garlic. I had the roast duck with orange sauce and risotto and afterwards, there were three desserts: honey cheesecake, tiramisu and chocolate souffle. I'm a sucker for souffles, anyone can tell you that.


Then Daddy took us to like really cool places which I've never seen by the light of the evening. There was Little India in all its colours unfurled, people talking in the middle of the street unaware of incoming cars, people queueing up at the ATM machine as well as the cyber cafe, there was the vegetable market that went to the edge of the street, there were shops hawking old computers and washing machines as well as the requisite eating shops full of people. I thought the hiker's hotels were quite cool, the white tourists must feel so gratified by this display of the exotic because they know that civilized comfort as they know it is but a stone's throw away at the Intercontinental. I even saw spice shops! Like, how 60s is that?


Next was Arab Street which was quiet as compared to Little India but the atmosphere was really cool too. Little shops selling hashish, the thinnest street in Singapore, rows and rows of clothmongers and just people sprawling out onto the pavement in wicker chairs and the warm lights from the Turkish and Middle Eastern eating shops. All in all, I've discovered a side of Singapore that only confirms my point of view: Singapore is beautiful and worthy of tourists. I may have seen the goldsmith district of Florence in full festival mode, the Rue George V of Paris with its beautiful cafes and the LV store, Rome and it's archaic splender (the Forum and olive trees!), Venice with its St. Mark's square and thralling squalor, the Vatican's Basilica, the forests of Bavaria, the mountains of German-speaking Switzerland, the fields of Austria, King's Cross at London and much more but I tell you, Singapore has its charm too. We are after all, the last sleeping post of colonialism and really, I think we look much prettier than Hong Kong and Macau.


Anyway, today was a nice day too. It was embarrassing too because for some strange reason I do not recall saying that on Saturday night. Haha, yes, I do love Candice for having such a great party and for being such a princess. Probably had to shout it to the world then because I was a little high. Oh Val was quite funny too and Xiao Jun xiao jie scares me because everything I say becomes an insult to her. Sheesh. Haha, oh and She who Must Not be Named is really cool. I'm glad I finally got the point through that only stupid people or stupid people who try to pretend to be smart are muggers, smart people who study or who don't are simply that- smart.


Ah, life is sweet. Pity all this will stand for naught before the blazing pyre of my future.


C'est tout.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home