Friday, September 14, 2007

BD shouts.

Wednesday evening was a pleasant surprise because Mummy decided to have dinner at Boat Quay en famille. We ate at al dente which was passing fine and anyway, I have a sudden craving for Italian food that needs to be exorcised before I can resume normal behaviour at the table.


Also, the 2008 spring/summer collection has been quite a disappointment thus far. I like what L'Wren Scott has done, some of it and Francisco Costa at Calvin Klein did a few good pieces but that's about it. I suppose we'll need to wait for the French and Italian players to up the ante a little because thus far, this hasn't been the most inspired showing.


I am suddenly the unlikely recipient of backroom bitching from somebody whose rank is higher than me by quite a bit but not quite my boss and it is rather amusing. It's also slightly annoying. When I go to camp, I try to be nice to everybody (NICE) because this is not fashion or RJ and I don't see the need to be bitchy or competitive. Anyway, at the level where I am, army politicking is so lame and obvious there's really no point.


By the way, was talking to an officer the other day and I realised that we have unknowingly added a deeper fissure to Singaporean society than mere race through our education system. This officer is a lot older than me and he comes from a different JC that has been the object of my contempt for quite a while and it's interesting because he told me he didn't like people from my school. You'd think a decade of no longer being in school would have wiped the slate clean. Then there is the myth that senior rafflesians help their juniors when they're working in the same corporate environment. Is it just me or does it sound laughable considering that we're all such an ambitious and competitive bunch?


I was talking to a senior and he was arguing, comme d'habitude, that the state has no reason to intervene to aid the poorest of society. I would have agreed with him in the past and to a great extent, I still do. Nonetheless, increasingly, I begin to question the strident arrogance (!) that such a stand entails. I think the social cost of living the poor to fester by themselves is significant enough to warrant some form of intervention from the government for the wealth of a polity cannot be based solely on its economic strength but must also be founded on a benign society free from the evils of extreme poverty and an absence of social mobility. Note that I don't think inequality is a bad thing as long as social mobility is present but I do think that some measure of social equity needs to be present. It's just, I feel that it would be irresponsible of any individual to say that the state should let the poor die because they deserve it. Well, most of them do of course and I'm not even appealing to anyone's benevolence but I feel that the poor exact too high a cost to society to not have us do something about them.


Having said that, my sister woke me up at this unearthly hour because she was panicking over being late and I really, really hate it when that happens. Like hello, if you're late, just take a cab.


My horoscope mentions that this month needs to be a month of rest lest I wear myself out and that has proven to be uncannily true. I have felt a little worn about the edges thanks to the combination of more work, huge amounts of domestic stress, the unfortunate occurrence of yet another bout of existential crisis, a creative rut and my intense desire to run to Paris. I also feel like checking into Fullerton for two months where I do nothing but visit Woffles for lipo, peels, shots and lifts while I eat at San Marco everyday.


C'est tout.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home