Saturday, July 07, 2007

Blank Doll eats up.

I once had a pair of red Calvins that were absolutely beautiful, the sort that follows the line of your leg and makes them look five feet long. Unfortunately, I once possessed a somewhat staid approach to clothes and colour so I threw it away. Now when I want to wear a frayed long sleeved shirt, red jeans and boots- well, I can't. The problem with owning so many pairs of Calvins, Levis, Diesels and Trussardis is that you really can't wear them all. I've cut up two pairs of Calvins, a pair of Rykiels and a pair of Versaces but my I still have too many pairs. There's a pair I've been wearing since primary five and it still fits! (fat boy alert) Then again, three years ago, my dad bought me a pair from Thailand, some generic pair, and it was really good.


Yes, I hate people who wear jeans everywhere, who thinks a pair of jeans and long sleeved shirt makes smart casual. Impossible, je vous dit. Nonetheless, there are times to wear jeans. Or at least until I work and have enough income to tailor all my pants from cashmere or something.


Work has been, erm, heavy. Most of which I am not at the liberty to discuss but suffice to say, it's been rather interesting. A friend of mine once said I was pathologically fixated with rank (ok, he didn't say it that nicely, it was more like a scream). Well, he would be proud of me because right now, I could hardly care. Apparently, I'm only a proponent of the Establishment when it suits me and the current one where I am but a tiny minutes writing, slide converting, report vetting and all round expert on all things luxurious cog definitely does not suit me. Still, je suis content.


I have attained a new level of culinary achievement. Yesterday night, I made salted caramel macarons and they taste JUST like macarons! Perfect, now I won't have to go all the way to Canele to get a macaron fix. I'm still annoyed by the fact that I can't find rosewater to flavour my foodstuff though. Nevertheless, I'm over roses. Currently, I love the idea of salted caramel and chili. Salted caramel is such a wonderfully, adult, take on a childhood preoccupation with sweetness. It adds a subtle smokiness, an intense tinge, the salt. Chilis! Ah I am a late bloomer. Me, an Asian, and I only learnt to love chilis like, four months ago. I want to make a fruits rouges coulis and then mince red chili into it. I want to infuse chocolate with chili and then bake a warm chocolate cake with it so that the molten chocolate that oozes out of the crackly core is not only hot and rich but also intensely spicy. I'm also thinking of a way to incorporate pepper into desserts.


With regards to furniture, there is this old technique of decorating walls which I think is so hot. It's essentially leaving the borders of the wall plain and then framing wallpaper in the centre. It's beautiful and you can see an example of this at the Versailles. Now I wonder, how much more beautiful if you had frames of lacquered bamboo framing up antique Chinese silks? I saw this sample of white Chinese patterned silk embroidered with Venetian style embroidery in red. Beautiful.


So much of life to savour, so much of the world to taste, even without you by my side, my time here won't go to waste.


C'est tout.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home