Monday, June 26, 2006

Blank Doll enlightens the ignorant.

We must all agree by now that Singapore is a lovely place to live on the condition that you own an air conditioning unit.


I would now like to add another condition: if we could just remove all the actual Singaporeans and replace them with Japanese and Filipinos. Well, all the disgusting ones at least. You cannot possibly believe how many disgusting Singaporeans we have and they're actually proud of the fact that they promote a culture of ill breed, a culture that is no culture.


Yes, I'm elitist and a snob. Yes, I'm ranting but do humour me and allow me to elaborate on my case.


A 13 year old boy, let's not bother with race here since I am of the opinion that ill breed in Singapore transcends race, knocks into somebody else, knocks his ipod onto the ground and doesn't apologize. He gets off at Yishun, well duh, where did you expect people like that to live? The thing is darling, all it would have taken was a little gosh I'm terribly sorry and I'd have smiled back and said no it's really all right. Everyone would have been happy about it and you wouldn't have to get off the train in such a rash of awkwardness.


People complaining about bad service. You know, do it with a little grace will you? Because there is a fine line between getting what you deserve and demanding for the foot when you've the inch on the grounds that you were given bad service. Asking for a total refund when you've been given a near full subsidy and demanding for it with no courtesy is appalling. I cannot abide by niggling. It is plain disgusting.


If we are to believe our newspaper, we are fourth from the bottom in terms of courtesy as ranked by Reader's Digest (so I only read the Life section. If you think letting your children read the newspaper will improve their English, think again. It's not so much their political views because I fully approve of a press that does not seek to be a political firebrand but the quality of the Straits Times is simply, well, non-existent unless you compare it to China Daily or something.). Why won't people smile when somebody else does something nice for them, why don't we treat salespeople better, why don't salespeople treat us better? It really does not affect our efficiency if we try to be polite. Look at the Japanese, their culture breeds courtesy, never mind that the people may not actually be polite, but a culture that makes formalities necessary is certainly better than one where efficiency without grace is the order of the day.


This is the point when somebody will point out that I'm being hypocritically righteous and my reply to you is that you're either a debator or stupid if you can't think that I can change. I'm all for formalities in case you didn't realize, I never said I was nice. So there. HA.


So the next time you little ingrates whine about the lack of freedom of press or the next hottest freedom you can think of, why don't you try to be courteous first? I'm sure when we're mature enough to open doors for one another, pull seats out for women and let them get into cars first as well as offer to pay for their meals EVEN if they insist on paying for themselves and you end up going dutch, then we can think about freedom of the press or dismantling the offending newspaper. Or at least teach them when the conditional tense is actually used.


C'est tout.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home