Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Blank Doll was locked up in the vault.

Oh man, today was like, so cool! I had a job shadowing day with Daniel and Geri where Xiao Jun couldn't come. Yeah, anyway, I arrived there earlier than usual because my ipod died on me again and I was too distraught.


Using a silly little map instead of relying on Sean's superior sense of direction. Well, who else can lead you to any direction taking a route twice as long while all the while not looking lost.


Awe. Wow, it was quite scary at first because it was my first time at the corporate headquaters of CITIBANK! Yes, haha, it was really cool and they had really nice furnishing and all. We were given a quick lesson on basic banking and the various functions of a corporate bank. This lasted for an hour where we then found a couple of rj seniors. It was quite fun and the things we learnt certainly plugged in some gaps in my knowledge.


Geri and I went to lunch with two people and their clients. It was quite an informal affair but we were taken to the Scarlet Hotel which was rather quaint. Haha, you have to go have a look at it. The food there was quite good, I didn't think it was exceptional but it was good for lunch. Haha, of course, how can my lowly palate compare with those of seasoned masters? Truly, I was being soundly humbled by a corporate world so beyond mine.


Thank goodness my table manners are impeccable. Haha, so we had a free lunch after all! Oh and Daniel went out with another bunch of people and after lunch, we met again where we had a talk with one of the people from Citibank's MA programme. It was quite informative and if there's one thing I learnt, it's that accounting is quite important. Banking is not for me then.


Later on we met another couple of guys who were going through a company analysis and we could sit in and listen to them. This was followed by a cool lecture on the functions of the Treasury which will no doubt allow for application in the novel I'm writing. I thought commodities trading was really cool. Oh and afterwards, we went to the Treasury to take a look at how those people were trading stuff. Those computers!! Oh man, they have a system that i'd die for because it conjures up all recent news regarding a certain commodity.


Ok, and finally, I have come to the conclusion that bankers are not boring stuffy people although some of them can look downright stern and stoic. I thought that was quite intimidating, especially the way when my name was called. Eich, made my skin crawl but nah, I was fine. Haha, yeah, coolest bankers ever. Almost made me feel like ditching fashion for a respectable career in commodities trading.


The only thing that I came of having a not so good impression was that people seem to assume that if you're into fashion design and artsy stuff, then you probably don't like to handle weighty stuff like politics and money and business. Such a strange suggestion, I would die if I didn't have a political comment or an opinion on public policy. Yes, I'm not a slave of fashion.


Oh and then the three of us went to Wheelock to get my ipod mini fixed. I'm getting it back 5 days later. *sigh* Haha, Daniel and Geri are nice people. Daniel is damn funny sometimes. Later went for dinner at NYDC after getting gifts for 11 of Geri's cousins. Ate too much pizza, Daniel ate all leftovers as usual. As usual, nobody accepts NETS. Dammit, I should be given a credit card then.


So I left them to themselves afterwards and came back home myself. Overall, it was a great day and every bit of it was real nice. Haha, if only every day in my holidays were just as fruitful and nice.


C'est tout.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home