Friday, October 27, 2006

Blank Doll is back.

This will be long and possibly annoying so bear with it. It's not my fault you suckers chose to stay at home to study instead of facing the possibility of a glorious failure.


Day 1

Walked around Montmartre which was really cool. I know I know, it's touristy but there is a certain freedom in walking without a tour group that is liberating. We had to get by on my appalling French although we did manage to survive. The weather was suitably pleasant and I could have laughed at the thought of the haze back home. Anyway, we walked alot. Paris has some fine houses and the Sacre Coeur was beautiful. It's really amazing that Christians saw such a great need to build a monument to GOD that at once cut them off from the rest of the world, as if only humans were deserving of GOD. Oh and I bought a nice black candle with a carved wax candlebra from this beautiful little boutique.


Grocery shopping in Paris is also a joy, partly because they have so many cool things our dismal NTUC does not. For crying out loud, they have rabbit microwavable dinners! How amazing is that? Oh and I must say, Paris has the best bakeries. How sad, that we must subsist on plastic sandwich bread instead of fresh, hot brioche crammed with butter, raisins and sugar. The milk does not compare however to Hokkaido though.


Day 2

I found Parsons! I found Parsons! It will cost my parents $300000 but I am so in love with Parsons. Although I think I'll still look into Parsons New York and Central St. Martins. It's a tiny building but the atmosphere is so cool. I am so looking forward to living in Paris.


Shopping day! Walked around Champs Elysees and Place de la Concorde which interestingly took the entire day. We had lunch at this wonderful place which had a most delicious onion tart and then also a wonderful cheese omelette. The French have their own brand of fastfood called Quick which tastes much better than McDo although you still wouldn't want to eat too much fastfood when the place is just teeming with good places to eat! I really loved the gardens and the view from atop the Arc de Triomphe which was wonderful what with all the avenues radiating from its central point. Baron de Haussman was a genius and Napoleon a greater genius still for choosing him to overhaul Paris.


We found the Cafe George V where we last had dinner in 2003. The waiter, Charles, who served us then was still there! How cute. Anyway, it's just next to the Louis Vuitton flagship store and I must say, I was quite angry at the Chinese around that area. There is apparently some swindling scheme consisting of a network of Chinese and I thought it was terrible. Something worse happened in the metro later on but nevermind about that.


Day 3


In 2003, I was deprived of the chance to see Versailles because my sister wanted to go to Disneyland Paris (pfft). Today, I finally got the chance and it was perfect. OK, notwithstanding the people who stepped on Mummy's toes (she was wearing open-toed shoes in autumn) and drove her nearly mad. I love the palace and I kept trying to imagine how it would be like to enter the palace then as a courtier when the Sun King still reigned AND ruled. The apartements were sumptuous as were the gardens. Oh my god, the gardens. They go on for miles and miles and autumn gives the gardens a wonderful blush for the leaves of the chestnuts have all turned a beautiful brown. Wonderfully happy even if we did end the day eating Chinese takeout which was gross.


Day 4


Another shopping day! All the major departmental stores, Gallerie Lafayette and Printemps were covered. Mummy went on a buying spree sweeping hair care products which would have caused like twice the amount back at home. After that, we walked to the Madeleine and then from there, to the Rue Faubourg St. Honore and Avenue Montaigne where the designer stores quite nearly drove me mad. I swear I'm going to have a store along that hallowed road one day. Anyway, Mummy returned to the Louis Vuitton flagship store to get herself a Speedy which is totally her since she can now use it as a gym/work bag. A bargain!


Thereafter, we went to look at the Eiffel Tower because despite the touristy-ness of the place, no trip to Paris is complete without a visit to this monument Parisiens once thought ugly and cried to have it torn down. There is a restaurant there called Jules Verne where a four person dinner costs a thousand sing dollars. Needless to say, we didn't go for it since none of us were dressed for it though I'd really have liked to have been able to eat there. Ah well.


Day 5


DEE!! Guess what? I went to the Musee de la Mode and saw the Balenciaga's exposition! It was great, like, seriously. That man is a genius and Nicholas Ghesquire has a strange way of bowing at the end of his show, quite unlike the suave confidence of Mr. Ford. Oh oh, and the other floors were great too because there were all this fantastic furniture and chinaware. Spent an entire day there.


And yes, had lunch at Angelina. Hello, only Paris' most famous place to have chocolat chaud along the Rue Rivoli where they seriously melt a bar into a cup and you drink it with a mouthful of whipped cream. Ate the foie gras de canard with figs and sweet brioche and was floored. Oh and afterwards for dinner, we went to this cool place which served mussles by the pots! I really love Paris now.


I must say here that henceforth, I will always defend the French especially Parisiens because they are the most beautiful people! Such courtesy and warmth! I know, not the fabled rude Parisian but it's true. I love Parisians. They are such lovable people, so unlike Londoners.


Day 6


Wasted on travelling to London.


Day 7


Hopped around London on a bus. The weather was friggin cold and the wind, oh my god, the wind. Now we all know I love the cold but this was absurd. Anyway, all the usual sights and then it was a trip down to Harrods. I love Harrods. It reeks, yes, reeks of old charm. A veritable temple dedicated to elite consumerism. Nevermind the horrible Londoners who came as a shock after the surprising niceness of Parisiens. Tea at Richoux which was quite good and we ended the day going on the London Eye. I can't really remember what we ate for dinner which must mean it doesn't merit mention. This is after all, British food we are talking about. They have hard rolls and sandwich bread! Ew.


Day 8


Took the bus to Kensington Palace which is impressive, but not as awe-inspiring as Versailles. See, the thing is I am biased. I love the French. I love Paris. Everything in London became dimmed after my heady trip in Paris. So bear with me Sarah darling. What I will grant is that they do good teas. We had tea at the Orangery and it was very good! The service was good too but then, the waitress was French. You see why I am now convinced of how polite and helpful the French are? Just speak their language dear, and they'll love you.


Went to Covent Garden afterwards to do more shopping. Nothing much to talk about, Covent Garden is cheerful and well, Covent Garden. On our last night in London, food proved to be so terrible that we ended up eating at a Chinese restaurant which was surprisingly good.


And here I am! Back. Then I hear about poor Shu Min whom I don't know personally but whom I unequivocally support.


C'est tout.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home