Monday, August 28, 2006

Blank Doll screams with joy

All right, the toughest paper is over.


No it's not gp, silly.


It's econs s which most of you don't take so cannot possibly know how nerve wrecking it is. I felt like such an iceberg just drifted over me when I finished the paper.


Ok, lousy imagery aside.


Tomorrow will be PC which I hope to get 30s for both essays which will then make my effort at getting an A for Literature slightly easier. I have a bad feeling about Measure for Measure (Die Shakespeare die! Oh wait, already dead.) and oddly, The Country Wife which I love. Those two will set me back to a B! Ahhh! I don't want a lousy B, not at the prelims.


Sorry, let me rant about results for a while. You know of course that Sean wants perfect As this time round though getting an A for History now looks highly unlikely although I'm damn well going to try. S papers, I want a D for Hist S which is possible I think, M for Econs S or I'll be devastated.


Ok, so I've set the bar. Now let's see if I can jump over it. Wait, you DO jump over the bar right? That's how that figure of speech works right?


On to other stuff.


Credit card companies are so scheming. I am utterly tempted by the new platinum by Amex and Singtel and am tempted to get my mother to accept the invitation so I can get a supp. The thing is, these platinum cards actually induce you to move your spending bracket up a notch too and I don't think I really want my mother to do that. I think having a platinum and a few golds are enough. I'm supremely proud of my mother for having a spotless credit card record. I aim to be like her in the future although we all know of course that Sean really wants the Amex Centurion.


Xiao Jun thinks poets are a waste of time. I think this is because she has been permanently traumatized by her brief encounter with Frost, a poet of adequate ability with a fixation on the most inane things from which we are forced to assume greater insight, and also because she belongs firmly in the Legalist school of Chinese thought.


Legalists and the Confucians. I think I straddle the middle ground because I believe in pragmatism, reasoning and the iron hand of the law. I also believe in civilisation, the arts and comportment. Civilisation may be a veneer but it certainly covers up the ugliness of human brutishness. You cannot imagine how uncouth some people can look, peasant stock being what it is.


Ok, I'll stop.


My point being, I think poets are actually quite respectable. This is because poetry was considered one of the skills besides rhetoric that the Greek masters held essential to holistic learning. The Greek masters also believed in tumbling naked in a sand pit every other day to train up and that slavery was ok. I rather like the slavery part but I'll pass on the wrestling.


I do digress. Another reason why I admire poetry so much is because it is so bloody difficult. Good poetry, not the sort that induces vomit and embarrassment, ends with a note of awe. It brings tears to the eyes, it captures the mood brilliantly in a few words. Prose is wonderful for building grandiose works but for pure beauty, there can only be poetry.


Enough for a day. I shall now rest up for PC. LMAO.


C'est tout.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home